In the event of a hurricane, if there is damage to your home, hotel, or commercial property, here is a 6-step guide to help make a claim less stressful for you during the recovery process:
- Once the storm has passed and Emergency Services gives the ‘all-clear’, start cleaning up your premises and perform any temporary repairs to ensure your business premises are safe.
- Take photographs of the property damage and, if possible, provide GPS coordinates (location pins via WhatsApp). This will assist the loss adjusters sent from insurance companies.
- Maintain an accurate record of the cost of any emergency repairs for submission to your insurance company.
- If there is damage to equipment and personal items, keep them in a safe place for inspection by the insurance company’s representative. Insurers must be allowed to inspect and agree on the damage before executing any permanent repairs.
- Contact us. The Tomlin Brokers team is here to assist clients in completing the forms as quickly as possible after the event. There is typically a set time period to notify insurance companies after a hurricane, so please inform us of any damage as soon as you can.
- Begin requesting estimates for repairs to the damaged property.
The Tomlin Brokers Team is available to help with your claim. Contact us today to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about your hurricane coverage.
Useful Resources during Hurricane Season
Storm Monitoring And Tracking
National Hurricane Center
Windy (This app/website shows windspeeds and reasonable estimates of where the storm is going)
Receiving Official Information In The Event Of An Hurricane in the Eastern Caribbean
- Barbados: visit the GIS website (see Facebook and Instagram).
- St Kitts: tune into the Government Radio Station ZIZ 96.1 FM
- St Lucia: visit http://nemo.gov.lc/
- Antigua: tune into Observer Radio FM 91.1 and ABS Radio – FM 90.5
- Grenada: NaDMA Grenada, Carriacou & Petite Martinique.
- St. Vincent: visit nemo.gov.vc
Safeguarding Your Property
Useful links from our insurance partners (complete with printable PDF guides) for managing your commercial or personal property:
Island Heritage ‘Hurricane Help’ Guide